Today, nationally, we celebrate Memorial Day.
And today, I'm not feeling the spirit of what that means.
And that is my fault. Mostly.
I still, in my toothache pain, can remember those precious souls.
My desire now, at 7:43 pm on this balmy Monday, is to remember.
Who comes to mind first?
It seems impossible to say.
Because, I could swear that, at the same moment I thought of two.
Grandma Hansen and Shawn Mahaffey
Two souls, born 60 years apart, have left an imprint on my life.
Grandma made sure I knew I was special.
Shawn made sure I had a laugh.
Now I know that Memorial Day was set aside for the fallen.
I have met a few brave soldiers.
One man, who lost a son to suicide, was strong in the face of trail.
One man left a home of love felt he returned to a home of "stone".
The sacrifices of those that serve is more than I can comprehend.
They make daily sacrifices at war and while they fight, they dream.
They dream of the freedom they provide for their family,
Their friends, and their country.
My gift to those we have fallen and for those who have gone before
Is to live a life worth living.
To live with Joy, with Thanksgiving, with Love.
But that's not all, I must remember.
Grandma, I will remember.
I am special.
Shawn, I will remember.
I will laugh.
The balloons are the ones family and friends released at Shawn's graveside. There is a love note on each balloon.
And today, I'm not feeling the spirit of what that means.
And that is my fault. Mostly.
I still, in my toothache pain, can remember those precious souls.
My desire now, at 7:43 pm on this balmy Monday, is to remember.
Who comes to mind first?
It seems impossible to say.
Because, I could swear that, at the same moment I thought of two.
Grandma Hansen and Shawn Mahaffey
Two souls, born 60 years apart, have left an imprint on my life.
Grandma made sure I knew I was special.
Shawn made sure I had a laugh.
Now I know that Memorial Day was set aside for the fallen.
I have met a few brave soldiers.
One man, who lost a son to suicide, was strong in the face of trail.
One man left a home of love felt he returned to a home of "stone".
The sacrifices of those that serve is more than I can comprehend.
They make daily sacrifices at war and while they fight, they dream.
They dream of the freedom they provide for their family,
Their friends, and their country.
My gift to those we have fallen and for those who have gone before
Is to live a life worth living.
To live with Joy, with Thanksgiving, with Love.
But that's not all, I must remember.
Grandma, I will remember.
I am special.
Shawn, I will remember.
I will laugh.
The balloons are the ones family and friends released at Shawn's graveside. There is a love note on each balloon.
No comments:
Post a Comment