Friday, May 27, 2011

Who can make a difference? You and Me!

Yesterday was the last day of school for my children. In the morning before sending off my 8 year old daughter, Macy, to school, I was doing her hair. She had a certain look on her face that I know all too well. The way to best describe it is...brave. As I combed through her silky blond hair and pulled it back into a "big ponytail", as she calls it, I asked her how she was doing. Impulsively, she said, "I don't know if I can talk about it mom. Cuz I know I will cry." I gave her a little hug and told her it was okay to cry since I know she cares about her teacher, Mrs. Lee. She then whispered, "I've never felt this way for a teacher before." Silently, the tears fell.

Part of the heartbreak is that Mrs. Lee is moving away. Macy knows she won't see her for a time and possibly not ever again in person. The truth is, Macy has been influenced by Mrs. Lee in wonderful ways. I know that Mrs. Lee paid attention to the things I told her to look out for in our precious Macy. (Macy tends to act silly when she gets embarrassed or she will talk kind of baby-ish to an adult in her quest for undivided attention. I noticed this come out in the last few years. Part of this behavior, I feel, came out after Nicholas was placed in our family. The other thing about Macy is if she gets teased or made fun of or hurt, she will put on a brave face and not say anything, sometimes go and just be alone. I believe its her way of keeping herself in check, not crying.) Mrs. Lee took it upon herself to do her job and to do her job well!

The beauty of Mrs. Lee was, she was very aware of her students. And Macy, in turn, was aware that. As a result, she blossomed in Mrs. Lee's classroom. She knew her teacher cared about her and so she wanted to please her teacher, show her she would do her best. She also wanted to be the best person she could be because that is what Mrs. Lee encouraged her students to be. She gently encouraged this with kind words and by her patient, kind example. That is the power of influence. Macy's confidence grew both at school and at home. As a mother, that is truly a beautiful thing to see. I want my children to know they have wonderful traits and abilities and sometimes at home getting the praise and direction is not enough. So when a teacher comes along and pushes the child to achieve and believe, what a blessing!

The old verse "it takes a village to raise a child", is indeed true. I'm grateful for helping hands in guiding, encouraging, teaching and loving my children. I have wonderful children but I realize I haven't raised them alone.

Remember, the power of making a difference for good is in your hands, in your power. Its for you to do, for me to do, if we want to change the world...one child at a time.

Today, choose to make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment